Saturday, December 24, 2016

Christmas Eve 2016

So I'm spending Christmas Eve lying on my kitchen floor. It's 4.30pm, the sun is setting, the wind is howling. I blast classical music and stare at the ceiling. It's a perfect cliche. 

I get bored of the ceiling. I turn to my side and look out the window. I see a bright green train speeding by on its tracks. I hear seagulls. All the windows have Christmas trees in them, with sparkling fairy lights and glittering ornaments. 

***

I've just come back from a 10 day trip around Germany. After constant contact with people, the enormous shift to being alone (on Christmas no less) frightens me. Its a fear I'm not used to, since I revel in being alone. Time with myself has always been easy.  


***

My phone is buzzing with Christmas texts from my friends back home. I cant bear to open them. I feel ill. My head is spinning a little. I think I'm hungry, I just don't have the will to eat right now.  
I want to get out of my apartment and run. I want to lace up my shoes and just go. I advise myself against it though - I have a feeling I'd collapse. It's so dark, no one would find me. 

*** 

I think I've been terribly happy for 10 days. 
Terribly happy surrounded by people - Its so unusual. 
Have I changed so much? 
Is that a bad thing? 

And now? Now I think I'm scared of being alone. Afraid to spend today alone.