Monday, May 30, 2011

The Ballerina In My Head.....


     This is a very elegant piece by composer Camille Saint Saens called 'The Swan'. This piano cover is beautiful by itself, but I think it would sound better if the accompaniment was played with a piano and the main melody, a cello. 

A cello player
     Anyway, its a very smooth, flowing piece. There are lots of feelings that S. Saens managed to put into it. I personally love the part where the major suddenly morphs into a minor, it becomes soft and dark. About 2 seconds later, the piece shifts back to a major, like nothing went wrong. Towards the end of the piece, its reverts back to the original melody. Its a brilliant composition. It radiates complex feelings in 1 minute 54 seconds. Only music can do that.


Whenever I play this song, (a much easier version though) I imagine myself in a decorated, empty concert hall. On the stage, stands a lone baby grand piano (black of course).


     So I come in, sit down and begin to play. Then, (remember, this is happening only in my head!) a ballerina comes out from behind the curtain. She starts to dance slowly, following the rhythm of the music. She executes a perfect arabesque at 0.12 - 0.14

This is an arabesque

     Then, at 0.21 - 0.32, she is leaping across the stage, this is where the songs turns into a minor. Its getting dark, scary, she's losing her way.

She leaps!
    
 Before all the light can go out, the piece turns back into a major. She's found her way. Joy sounds throughout the hall. Towards the end, she follows timing meticulously, and dances en pointe around the piano.
 Before the last note is hit, she disappears. 
Dancing en pointe







I get up and leave the stage. The hall is empty once more.